Cable Modems: Information About High Speed Internet and Broadband Access The Cable Modem Information Network
 Cable Modem Home - Forums - Statistics - Sign Up - Search -
Cable-Modem.Net Forums / Home Networks and Routers / Connecting Linksys wireless router to Charter cable internet modem/router
baffled

# Posted: 11 May 2009 15:35

I have Charter cable-based internet at my office. Works very well! Charter supplied a combination cable modem/router box that does NOT feature wireless support. I have a Linksys BEFW11S4 wireless-capable router that I recently removed from a different system. I would like to cascade the two routers--i.e., connect the Linksys router to the the Charter router, thereby gaining wireless capability.

Can't get it to work. I have done the obvious things:
-- disabled DHCP in the Linksys router
-- cloned the MAC on the Linksys so that it matches that of the Charter router

But, no dice. From a PC connected to the Charter router, I can't even ping the Linksys router.

Charter tech support doesn't get in to configuration of others' routers (can't blame them).

Any ideas?

baffled

# Posted: 12 May 2009 16:03

PROBLEM SOLVED!

Got a tech at Charter that knew what he was talking about.

Turns out that Charter Business supplies a box that combines a cable modem with a router.

BUT, by default, they set the router to support only one device, namely, whatever is plugged into socket 1 on the box, and the router capabilities are not used: the box is operated as a cable modem. They do this "because most business customers have a router or something of their own." (Would have been nice to know.)

So, I reset the Linksys router to factory settings (DHCP enabled, no MAC cloning, 192.168.1.1, etc). Voila!

BTW, if I had thought carefully about what ipconfig had been telling me, I would have been on the way to the solution. Or, if I had plugged my computer into one of the other sockets. Etc.

Anyway, it's working. Thanks for the suggestions.

This topic is closed. You can't post a reply.

Free Motorola Surfboard Cable Modem Offer! FREE CABLE MODEM! When You Order Internet Service with Comcast, Cox or Charter

Cable Modem Home | Cable Service | Topics | Modem Information | Broadband Sites | Download Guide | User Support | Contact Us
All content published by Cable-Modem.net, Chicago, IL, USA.
© Copyright 2009 Cable-Modem.net. All Rights Reserved
PRIVACY POLICY | Terms of Use