Cable Modems: Information About High Speed Internet and Broadband Access The Cable Modem Information Network
 Cable Modem Home - Forums - Statistics - Sign Up - Search -
Cable-Modem.Net Forums / Troubleshooting / 2 Cable modems in 1 house??
beelake1234

# Posted: 19 Aug 2006 11:56

I would like to know if i can have 2 seperate charter cable modems for my different computers in my house. When i hook everything up on the second computer, the receive light blinks, it says im connected, but i cant access the internet. The ready light on my cable modem is never on. I would like to know how i can get this to work. when i do ipconfig, i get a question mark for one of my ips. I would be very happy if someone could help me out

Jack38

# Posted: 19 Aug 2006 14:40

I think your best bet would be to use one cable modem connected to a cable/dsl port router. I have charter and lease their cable modem and I run that through a Linksys cable/dsl 4 port router model NR041 to two and sometimes three computers and had never had a problem with this setup. I currently have their 3mb service and do not notice any difference in download speed or access time. The router is only around $40 and is a better option to having charter install another line and modem and charge you for two lines and charter will consider any internet access by two or computers at the same time illegal unless you are paying for two or more lines. The setup I use only cost me internet access for one computer even though I have two connected at the same time most of the time.

catvjbs
# Posted: 12 Sep 2006 00:09

Ok I am assuming by your question that you have gone out and bought a second modem on your own and are trying to install it on the same account. Is that correct? If so here is the issue. On a cable plant you can add as many modems as you want as long as the CMTS issues an IP address and accepts the MAC address. That means that you need a separate account for that modem from the cable company.

A way to get more that one pc on line is a router. If the computer you want to add is in another location a wireless router and wireless card for the PC may be the answer.

Anonymous

# Posted: 22 Jan 2007 11:46

if you do have to modems how much does charter charge you

Anonymous

# Posted: 22 Jan 2007 11:47

if you do have to modems how much does charter charge you

This topic is closed. You can't post a reply.

Free Motorola Surfboard Cable Modem Offer! FREE CABLE MODEM! When You Order Internet Service with Comcast, Cox or Charter

Cable Modem Home | Cable Service | Topics | Modem Information | Broadband Sites | Download Guide | User Support | Contact Us
All content published by Cable-Modem.net, Chicago, IL, USA.
© Copyright 2009 Cable-Modem.net. All Rights Reserved
PRIVACY POLICY | Terms of Use