Cable Modems: Information About High Speed Internet and Broadband Access The Cable Modem Information Network
 Cable Modem Home - Forums - Statistics - Sign Up - Search -
Cable-Modem.Net Forums / Cable Modem Discussion / New Computer! But I need to hook up my existing c
Anonymous

# Posted: 13 Jul 2005 18:41

I just got a new computer, and want to replace the old one with it. Problem is, everything is hooked up to the old one! So, the first thing I need to do is connect to the internet. I have Comcast High Speed connected currently to the old one. What steps do I need to make a successful connection with my new computer? (I NOT networking, just replacing an old computer with a new one).
Thanks!

Anonymous

# Posted: 11 Sep 2005 00:56

Fow one thing, you ARE networking! To the Internet...

From what I know so far, it may be the fact that the cable company needs your MAC address.. Call your cable providers to let them know that you have replaced your old computer...

InternetTech

# Posted: 12 Sep 2005 00:37

If you are using the ethernet
connection to connect to your cable
modem then you should be able to
switch the cable modem over to the new
computer and only have to reset
(by unplugging & replugging) to have
your cable modem realize that it is
connected to another device. If you
are using the USB connection you will
need to install USB drivers for the cable modem

thatdude

# Posted: 12 Sep 2005 11:41

If you are using the ethernet
connection to connect to your cable
modem then you should be able to
switch the cable modem over to the new
computer and only have to reset
(by unplugging & replugging) to have
your cable modem realize that it is
connected to another device. If you
are using the USB connection you will
need to install USB drivers for the cable modem

You obviously didnt realize that first you need to decombobulate the modem!

G Mays

# Posted: 19 Oct 2005 11:20

Connect your new computer to the modem, and then call the cable tech support and have them register the new computer as your internet pc. To use both computers, you will need a router between the Modem and PC, which is also registered on the account. then run a network setup diskette on both pc's after making it on primary pc and you can begin set up folders on both pc which can be used to transfer settings and files from the old pc to the new one if needed. OR buy an external Hard disk, and copy files from old pc to it, then hook it up to new pc and copy files from hard drivew to new pc.

G Mays

# Posted: 19 Oct 2005 11:21

Also, You may need to run Cable Modem install setup on new pc to use cable modem.

Anonymous

# Posted: 27 Nov 2005 11:14

Do you have to have internet connections to download and play
games on your computer. ( like SIMS, Sims2 . ect)

This topic is closed. You can't post a reply.

Free Motorola Surfboard Cable Modem Offer! FREE CABLE MODEM! When You Order Internet Service with Comcast, Cox or Charter

Cable Modem Home | Cable Service | Topics | Modem Information | Broadband Sites | Download Guide | User Support | Contact Us
All content published by Cable-Modem.net, Chicago, IL, USA.
© Copyright 2009 Cable-Modem.net. All Rights Reserved
PRIVACY POLICY | Terms of Use